Suicide Prevention Program Office Staff
Maria Lammy, MA, LPC
What I do: I focus on coordinating the student development initiatives related to the Suicide Prevention Program. I am the advisor of the student organizations PROs and BCAS, developer of REACH Across Borders outreach projects, and supervisor of the H&S Semester of Service volunteer experience.
Shelby Coen, MC, LPC
Graduate Administrative Assistant
Personal Interests: I enjoy playing video games, particularly Fallout and Kingdom Hearts. I like going to the gym for self-care and try to go every morning. I love spending time with family, friends, and my cats.
Education: I have a Bachelors of Arts in Psychology from Central College (IA). I completed my Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Arizona State University. I am currently in a doctoral program to obtain a PhD in Counselor Education at Ohio State.
How I got involved with SPP: OSU appealed so much to me to complete my doctoral degree because of the program’s strong emphasis on suicide prevention. I asked the program’s founder, Dr. Darcy Haag Granello, if I would be able to be a part of this program, and luckily there was an opening for me to be involved. I am so fortunate to be a part of such a dedicated organization that fits my personal and professional interests so well.
What I do: I am the head of the RUOK? Veterans program, which is an anonymous online screening for mental health concerns specifically for our OSU student Veterans and Active Service Members. I am working in collaboration with OSU’s Office of Military and Veterans Services for this program. Additionally, I am the Regional Campus REACH Coordinator, which means I coordinate with other REACH Coordinators at OSU’s regional campuses in order to provide REACH trainings (OSU’s suicide prevention gatekeeper trainings) to students, staff, and faculty on those campuses. I also provide REACH trainings to students, staff, and faculty at the OSU Main campus in Columbus.
Student worker in REACH Administrations
Personal Interests: Reading, Singing, Nail art, Writing,
Education: Bachelors of Science in Psychology, Minor in German at The Ohio State University (4th year)
How I got involved with SPP: I was looking for an internship during my junior year. I came across The Suicide Prevention program during my online searches and contacted the supervisor at the time. Once my internship was coming to an end, I couldn’t see myself leaving. So I decided to stay another year and help create a campus of caring.
What I do: I put together materials for our REACH trainings, and send out follow-up information to the participants. I also lend a hand in setting up events around campus.
Gayle Garcia, MA, LPC
Graduate Administrative Associate
Personal Interests: In my free time, I love to bake, go for walks, travel, and spend time with friends and family.
Education: I have a MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Western Michigan University and am currently pursuing my PhD in Counselor Education at Ohio State University.
How I got involved with SPP: I was asked to be a graduate administrative assistant because I was currently looking for funding for my PhD program. I accepted this position because suicide is preventable and I believe in the Suicide Prevention Program’s mission to raise awareness, reduce stigma around mental health and suicide and to create a campus culture of caring.
What I do: I am the GAA that works specifically with the RUOK? Buckeyes program, which is a stress and depression questionnaire that is sent out to graduate and professional students. I am the counselor, who answers all of the students who use this service to get them connected to campus or community resources. I partner with graduate programs and professional colleges to implement RUOK? Buckeyes in their programs. I am the liaison between Suicide Prevention Program and the Graduate School and partner with them to initiate and support programs that are targeted towards graduate students.
Norsuhana Emilinadiah Husin
Personal Interests: I enjoy participating in community service that focuses on helping people from marginalized communities.
Education: Psychology, B.S., and Organizational Communication Minor
How I got involved with SPP: In Spring 2018, joined Honors and Scholars Semester of Service Program where I volunteer my time at OSUSPP. During that program, I learned about suicide prevention and the outreach efforts done by our office for the Buckeyes community. I thought that the one-semester volunteer experience was not enough for me because I wanted to learn more. Thus, I applied for a research intern position in order to have a deeper understanding of suicide prevention.
What I do: In this office, I help with summarizing research articles related to suicide prevention programming. In addition, I am working on REACH Across Border, a suicide prevention outreach effort for international students. I also collaborate with other interns and helping out with programming outreach events.
Faculty & Staff R.E.A.C.H. Trainers
- Leslie Beary Marion campus – Counselor
- Jen Bennett Director of Student Affairs – College of Optometry
- Ana Berrios Career Counseling & Support Services
- Lisa Borelli Psychiatric Counselor, Ohio State EAP
- Pam Bork Senior Physical Therapist.
- Shelby Coen SPP GAA
- Amanda Crall Cord. Of Academic Advising, College of Engineering
- Gayle Garcia SPP GAA
- Liz Gordon-Canlas Assistant Director of Residence Life
- Darcy Granello Director, Suicide Prevention Program
- Paul Granello Counselor Education
- Sarah Howard Academic Counselor & Staff Assistant – University Exploration
- Ruth Ann Karl Academic Counselor – Undergraduate Programs and Advising Office
- Maria Lammy SPP GAA
- Jodie Leister Psychiatric Counselor, Ohio State Employee Assistance Program
- Shawn Levstek Staff Psychologist – CCS & Pharm. & Optometry
- Elizabeth Marsch Department of Comparitive Studies – Academic Program Coordinator Faculty
- Meghan Ninneman Sexual Misconduct Investigator – Student Conduct
- Derek Peterson Academic Program Coordinator – Slavic & East European Languages and Cultures
- Stephanie Rohdieck Associate Director – University Center for the Advancement of Teaching
- David Ternier Hall Director – Office of Student Life University Housing
- Barry Tolchin Academic Advisor – Civil, Environmental, and Geodetic Engineering
- Matt Moore-Waitkus Academic Counselor – Undergraduate Programs and Advising Office
- David Wirt Newark campus – Clinical Counselor – OSU and Central Ohio Technical College