When I was a freshman/sophomore in college, I thought I had nothing left to live for. I was (and still am personally) driven to excel and was devastated when I did not do well in an English class resulting in a D. I had never had such a low grade during my education and thought this was going to ruin whatever chances I had of moving forward in my career choice and in life
I became despondent and depressed to the point that I not only considered suicide but put plans into action. I was abruptly pulled up short by a person who was stern with me and asked me a question – quite loudly: “What are you trying to do; kill yourself!?!” I thought to myself, well yes; how did you know! God sent that person to me; I have no doubt about that!
That one intervention – that one question – stopped me from doing the most selfish act a person can do. I learned that if you are having a bad day, a bad week, a bad month, a bad year – to wait one more day! Wait one more day, if it doesn’t get better that day, wait one more day until it does. I can testify to you that it does get better.
So, what has transpired since that time:
- I transferred schools to a select private college and graduated with a BA in Economics; summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa; 4.0 GPA; class rank 1
- Got married and had 4 children
- Stayed married (to the same man) for over 34 years
- Have 7 wonderful grandchildren
- Sang in Carnegie Hall in NY (more than once)
- Learned to be patient and wait – that one more day!!
I hope you wait – one more day – and stick around to see how wonderful life truly is!