Movember 2019 – November 4th, 2019
The event will featured a series of games, activities, and information booths, as well as food and drinks for guests. The goal was to bring awareness to issues of men’s mental health, while also providing attendees with a fun and low-stress environment.
During this event, OSUSPP handed out adhesive mustaches and promoted our first ever Undergraduate MEN ONLY REACH Training.
RECESS 2019 – October 8th, 2019
During National Mental Health Awareness Week, mental health advocates across the country join with others in their communities to offer activities and education about mental health, stigma reduction, and wellness. In this spirit, Counseling and Consultation Service (CCS) is excited to bring back RECESS on October 8th, 2019, in collaboration with other OSU offices and organizations committed to wellness and mental health. We hope that this event will have a positive impact on mental health awareness through a RECESS theme, involving play activities that encourage positive play, wellness, and mental health for the OSU community. The aim of this event is to bring the nostalgia of school recess and the playfulness of fun and childhood into the present.
OSU students showing off their positive messages and self-affirmations they wrote for our social media campaign.
Train the Trainer Day – April 15th, 2019
- Train the Trainer Day is the large training session we hold to our prepare new and returning REACH trainers to present REACH trainings during the following year. The first photo is of this years new trainers, the second and third are of the whole group. Good job everyone!
RUOK? Day – March 6th, 2019
- Each March, students and OSU advisers from the Buckeye Campaign Against Suicide organize RUOK? Day as a way to encourage Ohio State students, faculty and staff to think about the people in their lives who may struggle with personal difficulties and take action – simply by starting a conversation.
OSUSPP staff members attending RUOK? Day and engaging with interested members of our campus community.
2019 NASPA Conference for Military-Connected Students (Las Vegas, NV) – February 8th, 2019
- Held annually, the focus of this conference is on effective strategies to serve and support the success of veterans and other military-connected students.
OSUSPP and Col. Carrell traveled to Las Vegas to give a talk about preventing military student suicide at the 2019 NASPA Conference.
Stories of Hope – November 28th, 2018
- A social event with hot cocoa and the spreading of hope.
OSUSPP Interns run the Stories of Hope table in the Union gathering students to fill the tree with leaves of hopeful words.
BCAS Luminary Event – November 20th, 2018
- In connection with the International Survivors of Suicide Loss Day, BCAS invites students together to share their stories with each other to find comfort as they cope and heal from a loss by suicide.
Students gathered in the South Oval to remember those they know who have died by suicide during this annual event.
Out of Darkness Walk – October 7, 2018
- When you walk in the Out of the Darkness Walks, you join the effort with hundreds of thousands of people to raise awareness and funds that allow the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) to invest in new research, create educational programs, advocate for public policy, and support survivors of suicide loss.
OSUSPP staff participated in the Out of Darkness Walk held on October 7th
Annual Outreach Events
The Ohio State University Suicide Prevention Program (OSUSPP) is involved with a variety of suicide prevention outreach events. Whether hosted at OSU by SPP-affiliated student organizations or held out in the local community, these events are important to increasing suicide prevention advocacy, building connections, and fostering hope. Click the links below to learn more about the RUOK? Day interactive mental health fair (an OSU Signature Event), the REACH© 5K race/walk, the Survivor’s Day Luminary, and the Franklin County Out of the Darkness Walk.