The Out of the Darkness Campus Walks are the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention’s (AFSP) signature student fundraising series, designed to engage youth and young adults in the fight to prevent suicide, the second leading cause of death among people ages 15-24. As you recall last year, we unfortunately had to make that event virtual due to the pandemic, but even so, raised almost $29,000, came in 4th place in the nation for campus walk fundraising efforts (and won an award from AFSP for doing so!), and beat TTUN’s campus walk! Not too bad for a first event that didn’t exactly go according to plan!
OSU’s Inaugural Out of the Darkness Campus Walk is scheduled for the weekend of April 9th-April 11th, 2021. Unfortunately, due to the social distancing precautions put in place to help slow the spread of COVID-19, this walk is online this year. Any OSU alumni, staff and faculty member, or student, as well as their friends and family members (even pets!), can participate.
To register to walk:
- Visit AFSP.org/osu.
- We have partnered with OSU Athletics and Nike to load our event into the Nike Run Club app which will easily allow us to track walking and promote engagement.
- Every participant needs to download the Nike Run Club app:
- Download the Nike Run Club app.
- Search for the friend profile in the app called “Out of the Darkness Campus Walk OSU” – please make sure that when you search for our profile you type out the full profile name “Out of the Darkness Campus Walk OSU” or search for us via our email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send a friend request to that profile which OSUSPP will then accept.
- OSUSPP will send you an invitation within the app to join our walk challenge. Accept the invitation.
- Go into the CHALLENGES section again and search for “Out of the Darkness Campus Walk OSU.” Double-check that your name shows up in the Leaderboard. If it does, you’re good to go! If not, go back through the steps again.
- You must accept the invitation to join the event in order for their status to change from ‘Pending’ to ‘Joined
- If you are having issues registering yourself or your teammates for our event on the app, please send us an email at email@example.com and we will help you troubleshoot!
Please make sure you are following our social media pages for updates.
- Instagram: osureach
- Twitter: @osureach
- Facebook: OSU Suicide Prevention Program